Should You Judge?

Minecraft Creative Mode, Should you Judge?

Minecraft has been out for years.  I have heard numerous kids conversations about zombies and battling all sorts of things.  I found myself surrounded by kids that all they could talk about was Minecraft.  It seemed like every kid in the world was playing this game including my cousin and homeschool friends.  I felt alone at times like I didn't fit in, there was no way I was joining a game of zombies.  I knew in my heart that games that kill did not honor God.

A few month's back after attending a homeschool function it really hit me.  I was loosing all my friends to a game that I didn't want to play or even hear about.  I was judging my friends based on what I overheard about the game.  While talking with my mom, she asked me how I knew that game was so bad.  I told her I overheard kids talking about it.  She decided to download a trial version of the game to her PC and we went through the game.  We played peaceful mode.  I didn't have a clue about the game.  I learned that there were no zombies in peaceful mode.  The game made a lot of weird noises.  I didn't care for the noises but, saw nothing wrong with peaceful mode.  It was at that point that I realized maybe my friends were playing peaceful mode too.  Was I judging my friends and others on things that I heard?  I felt bad.

After talking with my homeschool friend,  I learned about Minecraft Pocket Edition CREATIVE MODE available on the app stores.  My friend told me about how he and his family had built Disney World Theme Parks complete with roller coasters.  He told me how they worked together as a family and play in the same world.  This really caught my attention!  He told me that there were no weird noises or zombies in CREATIVE MODE in Minecraft Pocket Edition and unlimited building supplies.  I love building and technology.  This was the best of both worlds for me.

I downloaded it from the app store and decided to give it a try.  There were no instructions.  My mom and I looked for several tutorials to get started.   Everything I could find was in SURVIVAL MODE.  I decided that kids needed to understand how to use this game to be creative and build cool things.  I started making tutorials to share on my blog.

On Thursday, July 10th, 2014, Minecraft had it's biggest update ever.  Minecraft brought into creative mode all sorts of mobs including the zombies.  This was terrible!  I updated my old, lagging tablet  just to find out what was in the update.  To my surprise there was the option to spawn all types of monster mobs. Minecraft had added all types of new building materials and other cool features, but this was not enough for me to compromise my values.  I could ignore the eggs but, in my mind they would still be there.

I will not run the update on my new tablet until I can find out how to delete these monster mobs from the game.  I would love to find something to help kids that did run the update to remove these from their devices.  If you know of a way to correct this please email me or post your comments.

For those of you that play in survival mode of Minecraft or are enjoying the new update, I hope you don't feel offended.  I know not every person plays Minecraft in the same way.  Please know that I am not judging you.  I am simply sharing my thoughts. If you have a friend that plays Minecraft be sure not to judge them. This game has many options and opportunities.  Every Christian walks differently with God and it is important to follow your feelings on what God wants for you.  As a Christian use all things to honor God!

I will be posting some tutorials on how to build things in Minecraft.  Please note all tutorials are in the CREATIVE MODE of Minecraft Pocket Edition version 8.1.

God Bless!
CJ

Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you to will be judged."

Comments